1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice one small baguette (5 ounces) diagonally into sixteen 1/2 inch thick slices.
3. Brush both sides with a total of 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4, Bake on a baking sheet until golden, about 8 minutes.
5. Half 1 ripe avocado lengthwise and remove pit. Scoop flesh into small bowl.
6. Mash with 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
7. Season with coarse salt and ground pepper.
8. Spread on toasted bread.
9. Top with 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered.
TWO-BEAN SALAD (serves 4)
3 Tablespoons white-wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon olive oil
coarse salt & ground pepper
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
1 can (15.5 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup minced red onion
shaved Parmesan cheese, for serving (optional)
1. In large bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil, season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Cook green beans in a pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain in a colander. Pat dry with paper towels.
3. Add warm green beans, cannellini, and red onion to dressing in bowl. Season with salt & pepper.
Toss well. serve.
Garnish with Parmesan, if desired.
CHICKEN with PAPRIKA SAUCE
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each) cut crosswise into ½ inch strips.
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
Course salt and pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
4 plum tomatoes, cut into ½ inch dices
½ cup reduced fat sour cream
- In a medium-sized bowl, toss chicken with 1 tablespoon paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook, tossing occasionally until opaque throughout, 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, until softened, 5-6 minutes. Add remaining tablespoon paprika, and cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and ¾ cup water. Cook until saucy, 4-5 minutes. Return chicken(and any accumulated juices) to skillet. Stir in sour cream and cook just until heated (do not boil)). Season with salt and pepper. Serve
Serve over cooked egg noodles tossed with a little butter and fresh or dried dill.
(2 loaves (12 servings/loaf)
3 cups all purpose flour 2 large zucchini
1 teaspoon baking powder 2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon baking soda 1 ½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt ¾ cup honey
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup chopped pecans 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine first five ingredients; stir in pecans. Peel Zucchini, if desired; Shred enough zucchini to measure 2 cups. Combine zucchini and remaining ingredients; add to flour mixture; stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon batter into 2 greased and floured 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool on wire racks.
|PEAR and BERRY CRISP
3 pounds (5-7 ripe pears, peeled and cut into ¾ inch piece
1 Bag (12 ounces) frozen mixed berries
2 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spread berries in a single layer and thaw at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Make Oatmeal Topping (opposite) Refrigerate.
In large bowl, combine pears with lemon juice, thawed berries, sugar, and flour; toss well.
Put in a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle evenly with chilled topping.
Bake until fruit is tender and topping is golden, about 45 minutes.
Cool at least 20 minutes.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
1. In a large bowl, mix together:
3/4 cup flour
¾ cup light-brown sugar, packed
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
Pinch of salt
Stir in ½ cup rolled oats.
2. Using a pastry blender or knife, add 4 Tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces) into flour mixture until large, moist clumps form.